The City is spending $517,714 on new streets, and now $140,790 for micro-surfacing select, important, and one must only presume, high tax revenue generating streets in Freeport. Again, the Woodside Drive area is getting nothing. The streets in the Woodside Drive area are a disgrace to this community and just plain dangerous. See Good Day Illinois on June 1 at https://gooddayillinois.com/2015/06/01/street-superintendent-dole-pledges-to-repair-alleys-in-the-city-of-freeports-5th-ward-fire-station-parking-lots-are-a-priority/
The Freeport City Council will be meeting on Monday, July 20 at 6:00 pm at 524 W. Stephenson Street, 3rd Floor. You can watch it live on Comcast Channel 17. Some items of interest on the agenda:
- Annual report on biennial inspections of bridges in the City. See report at http://www.cityoffreeport.org/OrdRes/2015%20Bridge%20Report.pdf
- Discussion on City spending plan
- 2nd reading of Appropriation Ordinance for fiscal year 2015-2016
- Resolution to adopt spending plan for fiscal year 2015-2016
Mayor Gitz in Journal Standard on Sunday, July 19 tried to explain the difference between the Appropriation Ordinance and Spending Plan. He failed miserably – bureaucratic double talk. The biggest reason the Appropriation Ordinance does not accurately reflect projected spending is that City like other taxing bodies such as the Freeport School District are TAX PIGS. Taxing bodies want to suck all of the revenue they can from the real estate taxes. If for some reason (unlikely in Freeport), real estate assessments rose, the City could get more revenue. For God’s sake, every taxing body wants all of the money they can get. If this were not the case, appropriation ordinances and tax levies would accurately reflect projected income and expenses.
- Recommendation from City Engineer to accept bid of $140,790 for micro-surfacing.
- Phase 1 proposals for the renovation of old Carnegie library for city hall purposes – see details at http://www.cityoffreeport.org/OrdRes/DES%20BUILD%20COUNCIL_20150720.pdf
To view the complete meeting agenda go to: ttp://www.ci.freeport.il.us/citygovernment/Agendas/A20150720a.pdf